Time for another hostful episode of the pogpast (ha!) and today Ben and I are answering two really excellent listener questions:
- I’m a stay home mum of an 8 year old & 2 year old. I struggle with school demands, our small farm & hubby working 50 hour weeks & always feeling exhausted. Any advice on looking after myself while still meeting the other demands on my time? (Ailsa via Facebook)
- When I’m by myself in nature and spending a lot of time meditating and reading I find it very easy to have a slow life, but when I talk to friends a lot of times they want to share more stimulating, expensive and busy social events. I’ve been able to initiate some mindful events like starting a meditation group and inviting friends over for dinner at my home instead of eating out but still I find it hard to “go against the grain” of mainstream culture and find people who are more interested in living a simple, mindful life. What recommendations do you have for building a slow living social network? How do you work with friends who aren’t interested in the same type of lifestyle? (Travis via Facebook)
See? Told you they were cracking questions!
Ben and I go back and forth a lot with both questions, as neither of them has a clear, black and white answer. Like so much of slow and simple living, it’s about what works for you rather than what works for ‘everyone’ (whoever the hell ‘everyone’ is).
I’m also loathe to give a one size fits all answer, because they’re so dissatisfying to me. I love that there’s more than one way to approach these issues and endlessly differing points of view.
We also chat about my health briefly (thankfully it’s improving!) and the new way you can support the show.
If you have a question you’d like answered on the next hostful Q&A show, you can leave a comment below, post on the Facebook page or leave a voice message over here. Similarly, if you have a topic or guest suggestion, we’d love to hear from you too!
Today’s show is sponsored by Audible.com where you can access over 180,000 audiobooks, including Catch a Wave: The Rise, Fall, and Redemption of the Beach Boys’ Brian Wilson by Peter Ames Carlin. Click here to get a free, no strings attached, 30-day trial of Audible and claim one free audiobook of your choice.
Alternatively, you can listen to the show directly, simply by hitting the Play button above. Enjoy!
Things to Check Out After Today’s Episode:
- How to deal with relationship clutter (episode 20 of the Slow Home Podcast)
- SimpleREV Local Gatherings
- Minimalist.org – free local meet-up groups
Today’s Sponsor: Audible.com – Click here for a free 30-day trial and free audiobook.
Support the Show:
If you love the show and would like to show your support by becoming a patron, head over here to make a small monthly donation (as little as $1 a month) and know that any amount makes a huge difference to us being able to cover costs.