In this episode Carly springs a surprise on Kelly. They’re going to do a digital detox: a whole weekend of no internet, phones or computers. Carly’s interested to see how she goes from a FOMO point of view. Kelly thinks she’s going to have to do some serious forward planning because right now she uses her phone for pretty much …. everything: maps, reading books, notebooks, source of information (Google), entertainment and banking. All in one place!
If you’re keen to join in the challenge and then talk about it, head to the Straight and Curly group on Facebook (yes, Carly and Kelly recognise the irony of sending you to an online location to talk about getting offline too).
- Go for an entire weekend without your phone or the internet.
- Some people have safety reasons to leave their phone on, for example, they have young children or elderly parents who might need to contact them so the rule is: you can use your phone as a land line so if it rings, and you’re at home, you can answer it. But no texting, emailing, or doing social media from your phone.
- If you make plans, you need to make them in advance and tell your friends if they want to contact you they have to call you.
- You can only call people if you’re at home. Just like a landline phone.
- If you want to go TV free, that’s cool but it’s not compulsory. This digital detox is more about getting offline, being present and not being as contactable.
- Kelly and Carly will be doing this challenge this coming weekend so if you’d like to join we have a Facebook group we’ve created. Come join in!