This is a contentious topic but one that needs to be addressed. Too many of us just aren’t getting enough sleep and the sleep we’re getting often isn’t of very good quality.
This week Kelly and Carly talk about the importance of sleep, how to improve your sleep and the wildly different needs of Straight and Curly listeners when it comes to sleep hygiene.
- You need to move. I’ve been tracking my steps every day for three years, firstly with a FitBit and secondly with a my Apple watch. My data proves beyond a shadow of doubt that I fall asleep quicker and I have a higher quality of sleep if I reach my full 10,000 steps every day and raise my heart rate for 20 mins every day. That’s is solid fact.
- Alcohol totally messes with your sleep. We come across as all anti-alcohol but really aside from the deliciousness and it’s ability to turn you into Beyonce there are no benefits to drinking excess alcohol. I got drunk at the zoo for my birthday last year, slept funny on my neck and couldn’t turn my head for almost a month. It was hell. Don’t drink for at least a few hours before bed.
- Concentrate on temperature. Your core body temperature needs to drop in order for you to be able to fall asleep so make sure you aren’t too hot.
- This week, go to bed at the same time every night, even if you aren’t that sleepy. You need to train your body that it’s bed time.
- Go screen free. Seriously, go screen free.
- Get a pedometer. You won’t regret it. The FitBit was a life changer for me and it’s awesome having this data that just proves that your actions can help you sleep better.