This week Kelly and Carly are discussing the concept of Inbox Zero. The basic concept is that you get your inbox to zero every single day before you leave for work.
The girls discuss their experiences with trying the inbox zero method and whether or not they think it’s a worthwhile practice. Spoiler alert: Neither Kelly nor Carly are inbox zero devotees.
- Be ruthless. I don’t even open about 90% of the emails I get. If an email has the title ‘Your website’, comes from a person whose name I don’t recognise and the preview says ‘Hi www.smaggle.com’ I’m not going to waste my time opening it because it’s not going to be worth my while.
- Fall in love with the feeling of completion. An empty inbox is one of the biggest pleasures of my week.
- If you’re system is working for you – keep it! If you don’t mind having 20,000 emails in your in box that’s fine. No seriously, it’s totally fine.
- Try Unroll.me – you can unsubscribe to hundreds of list simply by ticking the boxes. It’s a god send.
- Start small – try going inbox zero just on Fridays so it’s clear for the weekend. It’s very difficult to inbox zero every single day (even I can’t do that!) so just take baby steps.
- Stop putting off dealing with your inbox. You have to deal with it eventually so it might as well be today.