This is a special episode for the Straight and Curly girls. After recording 13 episodes, they began to worry that they were coming across as judgemental or worse, sanctimonious.
In this episode Carly and Kelly talk about being totally flawed perfectionists. Sometimes you just have to admit that you suck at certain things and try to put some practices in to place to make sure these negative tendencies don’t talk over your whole life.
- The most important thing to do when identifying you flaws is to be honest and centred about it. We spend so much time trying to hide or avoid our flaws that we never take the time to examine them and figure out how to work with them.
- An easy way to figure out your flaws is to look at the things you do that frustrate you and make you angry. It might be wasting time, or defaulting to a sugary snack every afternoon or allowing yourself to be railroaded for hours by an overly needy friend. The next time you’re frustrated at yourself, have a look at your behaviour leading up to that frustration and figure out what you did to make that happen.
- Don’t be hard on yourself. Literally no one is perfect, you have your own unique set of flaws and working on them is just about the closest thing to perfection you’ll ever achieve.
- Get your list of challenge (I don’t love the word flaws) and put actions into place to keep these challenges under control. For example when I find myself sweating the small stuff I force myself to look at the bigger picture. There’s no point in getting myself into a state over a PR kid who sent me a canned response. I always look for bigger and better things to focus on when I find myself indulging in this bad habit.
- If you’re a time waster, have a list of remedies to help when you do this. Try working with timers, or reward systems to stop this time wasting mentality. If you’re a phone grabber, try putting your phone on airplane mode to remind yourself every time you grab it that you shouldn’t be looking at it!