Kevin Janks is back this week with the second mini-meditation workshop, and this week he’s helping you focusing on your emotions.
In today’s mini workshop, Kevin he talks through the physical sensations of our emotions – where we feel things like love or anger or anxiety in our bodies – and how to begin to notice the thought commentary that comes along with those feelings, as being distinct from the sensations themselves. He also talks about the following ideas:
- Just like we are not our thoughts, we are also not our emotions
- Emotions (feelings) are made up of bodily sensations and usually accompanied by thought patterns/stories
- By distinguishing between the sensations (emotion) and thoughts, and observing ‘us’ as distinct from it all, our lives can change as we begin to take apart their power over us.
- No longer will we identify with “being an angry/sad/frustrated/etc person
- Rather, we can simply observe these emotions as they pass through us.
- In everyday life, begin to observe the emotions that pass through you. Start to identify the inevitable patterns that they follow, and again practice seeing them as transient.
Take a listen to the episode below and I’d love to encourage you to practice this brief guided meditation every day this week before we move on to explore the idea of present moment awareness next Monday.
Head over to the blog for the full post, and enjoy!
- Full blog post over on Slow Your Home
- Get the Jackrabbit.FM app:
- Head over to the Patreon page if you want to support the show financially. You can contribute as little as $1 a month and will be helping us keep the show running twice a week.