In the latest epsiode of the this family life Nic chats with Merridy who lives Hong Kong with her husband and four children aged 15, 12 and 11 year old twins. Her youngest son Thomas has cerebral palsy. He is a twin to Sophie and when they were born sadly he suffered a hypoxic event which resulted in brain damage. When he was around 18 months old he received the official diagnosis of CP: Level 5. Tom uses a wheelchair and an eye gaze device for all of his communication and schooling. He attends mainstream school along with his sister Sophie. Merridy’s husband is a Boeing 777 commercial airline captain and travels constantly for his work, a bonus of which means plenty of opportunities for them to travel as a family.
With such a family set up, Merridy has much to share and just some highlights of the wisdom you will pick up:
- The importance of friends in an ex-pat community
- Managing homework and technology with kids
- Tips for travelling with children with special needs
- Apartment living with kids
Blog posts mentioned in the episode:
Other useful links:
- On Becoming Babywise – Gary Ezzo, Robert Bucknam – for the baby stage of parenting Merridy recommended this book.
- Yes, Your Teen is Crazy!: Loving Your Kid Without Losing Your Mind – and this book for the teenager stage of parenting which Nic also highly recommends.
- Project 333 – for reducing your number of clothes
Don’t forget to say hello on social media by using the hashtag #thisfamilylifepod