It’s all about Japan in Episode 36 of The Thoughtful Travel Podcast. It’s rare that Amanda chats about a single destination but she’s made an exception for Japan, because a bunch of my guests have talked about it and she’s just come back from a fabulous week exploring one of her favourite countries in the world.
Photographer Martin Bailey moved to Japan 25 years ago to work in a lace factory and has now lived there most of his adult life. He has lots of wisdom to important about all things Japanese and yet they end up talking about toilets!
Aggie Lim joins Amanda next to speak about issues of nudity. For a very modest society, Japan is very forward when it comes to bathing with strangers and we Aussies have a hard time adjusting to the onsen way of life.
Finally, Joe Baur reminds Amanda of some of the challenges of getting by in Japan without fluent Japanese and we also chat about the amazing transport system.
- Martin Bailey
- Martin’s photography tours and workshops
- God in the Toilet on Wikipedia
- God in the Toilet song on YouTube
- Aggie Lim at Drawn to Explore
- Joe Baur’s website
- Joe’s Without A Path podcast
- 5 reasons I’m excited to return to Japan
- Onsens and nudity in Japan
- Join our Facebook group https://www.facebook.com/groups/thoughtfultravellers
- Tweet me @amandakendle
- Hashtag #thoughtfultravelpod
- Follow me on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/NotABallerina